Healing Burn Contractures
While Portia’s mom Sarudzai was outside, her heart sank when she heard a cry from inside the house. Portia’s sheets had caught on fire from a kerosene lamp near her bed. Her mom sprang into action and quickly grabbed Portia to pull her to safety. But the damage was done. Portia’s arms, hands, and head were badly burned. The local hospital was unable to treat Portia adequately. As a result, her scarred skin contracted. Her fingers, hands, and wrists locked in place. It’s called a burn contracture — and in economically disadvantaged countries, it often goes untreated, turning into a permanent disability. Thankfully, Portia’s family found the CURE hospital in Zimbabwe where she received reconstructive surgery. Finally, she is able to draw, color and complete her school work!
KIDS WAITING TO PLAY
Your gift can end the wait for kids just like Portia.
Christabel | Kenya
At just three months old, a kerosene lamp fell and caught Christabel’s bed on fire, severely burning her left foot.
Faida | Malawi
As a curious three-year-old, Faida dipped her hand in a pot of boiling water, severely burning her left hand.
Reneboy | Philippines
At one year old, Reneboy’s right hand and chest were burned in an accident. He’s waited 12 years for surgery to release his burn contractures.
Share the love of Jesus by giving a child mobility.Donate
CURE International is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization