September 2017 Prayer Guide
Hurricanes will come
Earthquakes break the walls
Oceans rise, Empires fall
Enter world, light unshown
Follow heart, follow home
Here we are, light unshown
One round heart, one round home
—from “Apocalypse Lullaby”
The earth is a violent place… is there anything to do but contain it as best be can and stoically put up with it? There is. We can pray.
—Eugene Peterson, Where Your Treasure Is
God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear…
—Psalm 46:1, 2a
It takes courage to say, “we will not fear,” especially as we watch the earth shake and witness ocean water surging into our cities as we have this past month. But that’s the position of the psalmist of Psalm 46. He invites us to experience God’s presence and abundant availability in trouble (1) and to give attention to the full picture—to see, beyond the devastation, the river “whose streams make glad the people of God.”
While water is sometimes a destructive power, this river is a source of life and joy. Even as we watch “the earth give way,” the psalmist extends God’s invitation to become still in order to see and know more.
CURE is no stranger to Psalm 46 events. This month, for instance, a beloved friend to many suddenly became deathly ill following her mission trip to Niger and, unexpectedly, a member of the spiritual ministry team in Malawi experienced the death of her newborn daughter. Scripture is clear that in this world we can expect loss and suffering—that the Lord both gives and takes away. The prayer guide this month reflects experiences of both gain and loss and bears witness to God’s presence in everything .
In his book Where Your Treasure Is, Eugene Peterson writes that prayer is a courageous act: “No matter how God-defiant or God-forsaken the settings in which we find ourselves, prayer, with a kind of built in radar, tracks its way to God. Nothing can ‘out-reality’ God, and prayer is the primary action in which we cultivate awareness.”
Thank you joining us in prayer for CURE. As we pray, let’s renew our hope that in all circumstances God’s help is abundantly available.
Praying with you,
1. Alternate translation offered by NASB of Psalm 46:1
New prayer requests can be shared at cure.org/prayer-request.
1. Thanking God for 105 patient as a result of the Mobile Clinic in Mati, Davao Oriental, Philippines. They are scheduled to undergo surgery and other medical intervention within the month of September
2. Cleft week on Sept 24 — Admission and scheduling of patient, Sept 25 – 29 — Surgery
3. Traveling Mercy for Rosemarie Baco who is in Ethiopia CURE Hospital; Dr. Jun Valera to US; Dr. Dave & Margie Burgess going home to US (to include the parents of Margie), and the coming in of Dr. Shelley Oliver to Tebow CURE Philippines.
4. The upcoming Mobile Clinic on October (Marbel, South Cotabato and Butuan City).
5. Ongoing search for Patient Ministry Coordinator.
6. Blessing the discipleship of all our staff at Tebow CURE Philippines
Submitted on Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 9:13 pm
From Malawi: One of the spiritual ministry team members gave birth to a baby girl yesterday. The baby passed away today, one day later, having had problems with breathing. Please remember her and the rest of the team in their grief and desire to care for one another well.
Submitted on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 1:10 pm
1. Praise God for the successful ministries conducted in the Month of August including the outreach event and overnight prayers.
2. Praise God for the construction progress of the new outpatient complex.
3. We praise God for the purchase of chapel music instruments which we trust God will go a long way to enhancing worship experience to our staff.
4. Praise God for the peaceful elections and pray for the forthcoming repeat of the disputed presidential election on the 17th October 2017. Being an historical decision to overturn presidential election which caught many by surprise, on the other hand it was a good step towards growing our democracy. We need to pray for truth, justice, peace, and tolerance to prevail during this time.
5. Pray for the hospital’s plans and activities for the month of September; including planned 10 clinics.
Submitted on Monday, September 11, 2017 at 6:40 am
* Pray for our country; Kenyan politics are very hot and confusing. Pray for peace and unity, we need God’s choice of a leader.
* We praise God for the rains.
Submitted on Monday, September 11, 2017 at 4:18 am
* Praise God that permission to sink a borehole has been granted. Once its finished, it will help to allow the hospital run smoothly.
* Praise God for a good response we are having from the church in spreading the word about CURE after trainings.
* Praise for the TV/radio that has come to cover what we are doing.
* Pray for God’s guidance as we are working on becoming part of the Christian Hospital Association of Malawi.
* Continue to pray for the period of transitioning from the outgoing executive director to the new executive director and for wisdom and protection.
Submitted on Friday, September 8, 2017 at 1:56 pm
Praise the Lord for CURE Dominicana’s experience with Hurricane Irma yesterday. While our co-workers there experienced some storm effects, there was no damage or injury in the community. Thank you for your prayers for those in Florida who are preparing and bracing.
Submitted on Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:12 am
Thanking God for the great work He has done here in Zambia
1. Please thank God for the successful mobile clinics that were done in Kitwe, Chingola, Ndola, Luanshya (Copperbelt), Mwandi(Western Province), Kalomo, and Choma(Southern Province) by Dr Nourish and Pastor Harold.
2.Please thank God for our new ED, Steve, and wife Else’s coming; pray that they settle well.
1. Pray for the plastic surgeons coming to the hospital on the 3rd and 17th September, 2017. Pray for their traveling mercies and that of the patients as they come.
2. Pray for the operations to be successful.
Submitted on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 at 2:54 am
From CURE Dominicana:
Alabamos y damos gracias a Dios:
– Por la vida de Victor Nakah y su gran ayuda en dirigirnos en los cambios que debemos hacer en nuestro Departamento de Vida Espiritual
– Por la vida de Rick Manning y su ayuda en todo lo relacionado con nuestro hospital
– Por la visita del Dr. Tim Mead, ya que nos estarán ayudando durante el mes de septiembre en el área médica en la Rep. Dom.
We praise and thank God:
– For the life of Victor Nakah and his great help in directing us in the changes that we must do in our Department of Spiritual Life
– For the life of Rick Manning and his help in everything related to our hospital
– For the visit of Dr. Tim Mead, since they will be helping us during the month of September in the medical area in the Dominican Republic.
Por favor oren:
– Continuamente mientras esperamos que se llenen los 3 puestos en el Departamento del Ministerio Espiritual (Director Espiritual y 2 Coordinadores del Ministerio ).que el Señor nos dirija
– por las próximas clínicas móviles.
– por las visitas de los paciente en el próximo mes.
– Continuously while we wait for the 3 positions in the Department of Spiritual Ministry (Spiritual Director and 2 ministry coordinators) to be filled, that the Lord directs us
– for the upcoming mobile clinics
– for patient visits in the next month
Submitted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 1:05 pm
We thank God for each opportunity we are having to share the gospel.
1. Please pray for the upcoming mobile clinic even, It will be in Bahirdar town. It is strategic to us to follow up previous patients who have been saved and also who were open to the gospel. It will also be an opportunity to work with the churches in the area. We will have also a one day training on disability and reaching out to children with disability and their families.
2. Please pray for staff evangelism. Please pray for the newer staff members who were recruited in the past six months. Please pray for open hearts and for us to be faithful stewards of the gospel. Please pray for wisdom as we have an opportunity to share the message.
3. Please pray for patients who are persecuted because of their faith.
4. Please pray for the private work for adults to be opened. This is important for sustainability of the charity work we are doing for children. Please pray for the government officials who are handling this to have wisdom and grant us permission.
5. Please pray for the openness of hearts in the ward as we share the gospel.
Submitted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 10:24 am
Please pray for:
– Donor relation opportunities
– New country / state program leadership
Submitted on Friday, September 15, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Partnerships – Wisdom as we deal with them
Staffing – several key open positions throughout the network and new staff being oriented
Ethiopia Maximization Study – to be conducted in September / October. Safety and wisdom for the people conducting the evaluation.
Opportunities – That we would be faithful and wise as we strive to stay true to our mission
Submitted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 7:43 am
From Bangladesh: From recent and continued flooding, two church communities served by CURE Clubfoot are flooded with families now living on the road; one church member died. Up to 50 people have died in different places of our country. The urgent needs are food, drinking water, medicine, and clothes. When the flooding ends, there will be need for clean up and repair of property. Please continue pray for the community. They have begun collecting food and are in need of resources for relief items needed.
Submitted on Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 11:24 am
Mission Support Center
Please remember those whose lives have been deeply disrupted by Hurricane Harvey which hit Houston two weeks ago, and remember those preparing for Hurricane Irma. In particular, please pray for partners and co-workers located in Florida, some of whom are evacuating–among them partners at Map International, an organization who has over the past few weeks worked hard to send donations to Houston.
Submitted on Friday, September 8, 2017 at 11:09 am
1. Let us continue to pray for Dr. Anthony Chisakuta and his wife Emma, as he continues with his chemo and getting ready for the next phase of his treatment. Please pray for total and divine healing, and for strength. Also, let’s remember Jeff Jackson and others currently in treatment.
2. In the wake of recent events in Charlottesville, VA, Please, pray for God’s love and peace in this land. I pray against the spirit of fear and anxiety.
Submitted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 8:11 am
Maureen Sloan, long-time friend and nursing practitioner for CURE throughout our network who has recovered from a viral infection that nearly took her life following a recent trip to NIger shared the following: “Truly the Lord has preserved my life! Truly, I am so thankful to the Lord for help, healing and now rest to process and recuperate. God must be glorified for banishing to dark oppression and evil forces that attempted to destroy my flesh. Why did the Lord do this for me? I don’t know except I felt and feel His love and care to continue to serve Him daily! God is good and I thank His people for all the prayers around the world…strong faithful prayers which were answered abundantly in preserving my physical life and bringing glory to God! Many, many thanks!! I am so grateful!!
Submitted on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 10:47 pm
Pray for my marriage to be healed and strengthen in faith and love, that God’s will is done in our lives.
Submitted on Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 9:55 pm
For Mariel, Walter and baby Medina.
Submitted on Friday, September 15, 2017 at 3:03 pm
Praise God for a new baby in our family, although there seems to be some challenges. Please pray for mom’s and baby’s health and for mom and dad to be comforted by God as they trust the Lord.
Submitted on Friday, September 15, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Please pray that God will guide me what to do next in my life in the Name of Jesus Christ.
Submitted on Friday, September 8, 2017 at 4:20 am
Please pray for my friend to be healed.
Submitted on Friday, September 8, 2017 at 4:16 am
Hi. I would like to ask you to please pray for me. I have been mentally ill for years and I am really struggling. Please pray for me, it would mean so much. Thank you.
Submitted on Friday, August 18, 2017 at 11:25 am
Praise the Lord, I am working with CURE as a District Program Coordinator. I want God’s grace, His wisdom and Holy Spirit, and to do my job best. Please pray for me, my job, my family, and JESUS lead me and guide me in my life and my personal decisions.
Submitted on Friday, August 18, 2017 at 4:01 am
I am lifting up my employment and financial situations to the Lord and praying for His provision so that I can not only care for basic and health needs but also give generously to Christian ministries, including CURE International. When I was previously working, I was able to donate to CURE regularly, but have recently been unable due to unemployment.
Submitted on Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 6:26 pm