June 2017 prayer guide
Dear Praying Friends,
My daughter and I recently experienced the Manitou Incline, a hiking trail near Colorado Springs which gains almost 2,000 feet of elevation over less than 1 mile and serves as a fitness trail for some in the Air Force Academy. The current record for time on this hike is 17 minutes; we did it in a non-record time of 2 hours.
The hike for anyone is work indeed, challenging lungs and legs, but we, along with many others that day, kept moving forward. How? Camaraderie among hikers was one thing that helped. People we passed and who passed us offered kind words of encouragement. The increasingly astonishing view was another. Though it was scary to turn around and look behind us, we had a rare view of the gentle curve of the landscape below. Though the world might look flat from sea level, it doesn’t from 7,000 feet. What mainly kept us moving forward, however, was that there was no other “safe” choice.
Since the Manitou Incline experience, I’ve been asking myself what will continue to move us forward at CURE International in the mission we’ve been given to heal the sick and proclaim the kingdom, especially when both physical and human resources are stretched thin. Truly, the same kinds of things Kara and I experienced on the Manitou trail—the encouragement of those who are on the same journey, the front-row view of change, and the fact that there is no turning back. The book of Hebrews gives us one more impetus in the description of Jesus enduring for the joy set before him.* For His whole life, Jesus’ eyes were fixed on the Father. In love for Him and in His service to Him, Jesus laid down His life.
We have the same joy that will move us forward as well. While we serve children throughout the world, Paul reminds us that we serve Christ first and foremost.**
As you consider the requests shared below, please pray for our forward movement, that joy will be the hallmark of service to Christ and His kingdom.
Praying with you,
* Hebrews 12:2
** Col. 3:24
New prayer requests can be shared at cure.org/prayer-request.
– We praise God for the local anesthetic nerve block being used recently by our anesthesiologists on our patients after attending a training in Africa as our patients recover quickly and feel much better after surgery compared to the general anesthesia being used on them in the past.
– Please pray as we are in the process of looking for people to fill in the roles of Spiritual Director and Patient Ministry Coordinator.
– Please pray for peace and order in Mindanao as there have been clashes between government troops and militants and Martial Law has been declared.
Submitted on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 8:42 pm
– We praise the Lord for the raining season. It rained in many places in the country. Pray may this season be a blessing for people.
– Pray for the caretakers and patients who stay at the guesthouse; some of them are continually sick, pray that the Lord stops this sickness from among them.
– Pray for a good end of our fiscal year and for an excellent beginning of the new one.
– Pray for our relationship with churches in Niger; may the Lord make it easier.
– Since December, we haven’t been able to do mobile clinics. The Ministry of Health ask to each participant to have a specific authorization, which we do not ahve. Most of our patients come through the mobile clinic. Pray the Lord will facilitate the procedure to have this authorization.
Submitted on Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 6:39 am
Praises and a Prayer Need From Kenya
We praise God for all the ministries we managed to conduct in the month of May including 8 successful mobile clinics.
We praise God for a successfully partners’ training which happened on 11-13th May, and we pray that through this there will be bigger and stronger networking hence increased gospel presentation.
With 2 months to election in Kenya, we pray for God’s peace, unity, and political stability for our country and that the Lord will give us the right leaders to lead the country for the next 5 years.
We pray for Caroline, a single mother of two who needs God’s guidance and as she brings up them up.
We pray for God’s intervention for a husband whose life and actions are being driven by his alcoholism.
We praise God for Bilha, who graciously got an opportunity to come to CURE, where she learned more about God’s Word and decided to surrender her life to Him. We pray for God to help her stand firm in the faith.
We praise God with Jemimah, who went through hard and painful moments due to physical challenge of her daughter, but at last God gave her daughter a successful surgery.
We praise God with Faith, a mother of four who has finally found a home for her family after a long period without one following the death of her husband.
Submitted on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 2:35 pm
– Thank God with us for a co-worker who decided to follow Jesus in baptism.
– Praise the Lord those in the eastern part of the country who have heard the gospel for the first time. We at CURE Ethiopia were the first people to go and share the gospel because of a four-year-old child who has clubfoot and is to be admitted to the hospital for treatment this month.
– Praise God for the daily devotion time and for co-workers who are willing to participate. God is working in the hearts of many.
– Pray for us as we reach out to our patients with prayer and wisdom.
– Pray for the new way of caring for patients in the new facility, keeping patients for longer periods of time—three or four months average. Please pray for wisdom decisions about how best to resource this long-term care.
– Please pray for the new budget year in July 2017, for the blessings of God on the work and on our new co-workers.
– Please pray that we will reach more people with the gospel and we will not hesitate or fear to share the gospel with strangers.
Submitted on Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:29 pm
– Please pray for continued peace as our country is going though political turmoil
– We also give thanks for all fathers who bring patients to the hospital as we celebrate Father’s Day this weekend
– Pray for our neuro mums as they transition to another hospital
– Give thanks for Mazuba’s smooth recovery (the boy who was attacked by a crocodile)
– As we seek to hire a child mentor, may God guide us
– We give thanks to God for Andrew, relocated to Zambia from USA to help with engineering
Submitted on Monday, June 12, 2017 at 2:31 am
CURE Malawi: Please remember our executive director Rob Brown as he and his family transition from Malawi in August. Praise the Lord for his tenure and sacrificial love for children and their families who have found physical and spiritual healing through the ministry in Malawi.
Submitted on Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:28 pm
CURE Afghanistan: Please remember the families of 90 people who lost their lives in the most recent attack on Afganistan as well as the injured. While the explosion occurred 5 miles from the hospital, security continues to be our coworkers’ greatest concern. On their behalf, please pray for safety (Ps. 16:1).
Submitted on Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:25 pm
CURE Niger: please pray for the family of one of our caretakers who died yesterday. Pray for the Lord to comfort her family. She had traveled to CURE from 730 km away with her grandson.
Submitted on Friday, June 9, 2017 at 3:20 pm
– The Program Managers from the CURE Clubfoot programs in Africa will be meeting together at the end of June for a regional meeting. Pray for a successful time of discussion and learning as they discuss their clubfoot programs throughout the continent and that the CURE Clubfoot network can equip them to reach more children born with clubfoot.
– There are vacant positions in several of the CURE Clubfoot programs worldwide. Please pray for effective hiring and that the Lord would bring faithful servants that want to be a part of the work to heal the sick and proclaim the kingdom.
– June 3rd was World Clubfoot Day and many of our programs celebrated this day. Pray that these events are well received and that their reach allows for more children to come to clubfoot clinics to receive life-changing treatment to walk free of disability.
– We are so thankful for a church partnership in a clinic in Honduras in the town of La Ceiba. This church has adopted the CURE Clubfoot clinic in that city and have been raising awareness in the community, blessing the patients and families, and providing a counselor to work with the families. Pray for more church partnerships throughout all our programs.
Submitted on Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 10:35 am
For CURE Hydrocephalus, please pray for a good time of transition to a summer schedule and for continued wisdom as we develop the hydrocephalus program throughout the CURE network.
Submitted on Monday, June 12, 2017 at 4:04 pm
CURE Hydrocephalus & Spina Bifida
Please pray for Hanoi Hospital of Pediatrics, Vietnam, that God would soften the hearts of the children’s caretakers, and for God’s blessing and healing for the hydro and spina bifida children.
Submitted on Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 9:00 am
Mission Support Center
Please pray for help with financial needs. Thank you.
Submitted on Saturday, May 27, 2017 at 9:33 am
Please pray for me as I ask for God’s help in changing my life; I want to do something for the Kingdom of God.
Submitted on Monday, May 29, 2017 at 9:58 am