Other kids like Chimwemwe Sandikonda who need your support
- Chimwemwe Needs a CURE
What is CUREkids and who is Chimwemwe?
YouChimwemwe lives in Malawi and has a hip deformity, and in Malawi the sort of specialty medical care Chimwemwe needs is scarce. There are 100 million children in the world just like Chimwemwe who have little hope for the future.Many can't play with their friends or go to school, and when Chimwemwe grows up, things that we hope for like marriage or finding a job will be difficult or impossible...all because Chimwemwe has a curable disability! But you can change Chimwemwe's life forever.
- You can help
What can you do?
You can help Chimwemwe right now. Maybe you can offer $30. Or maybe you can introduce Chimwemwe to others who can help...
- A Community Solution
Be a part of something bigger than you
When you join CUREkids, you're getting involved in something much bigger than you. You're joining a community of people from across the U.S. and around the world that are committed to making a lasting difference in the life of a child who has a curable disability: Chimwemwe
CUREkids builds Communities
focused around one thing:
Healing a Child
- Results that Matter
See how healing changes everything
We all want proof that our gifts are making a difference, and CUREkids offers real results that really matter. Together, we'll see the before and after photos online from Malawi of Chimwemwe's treatment and we'll send updates to you through email and Facebook.
This boy (Alfred) was healed as Chimwemwe soon will be
This is your chance to change Chimwemwe's life forever! Help Now
- Seen in Clinic 12/12/2012
- At CURE On 02/17/2013
- Operated On 02/27/2013
- Scheduled For 05/06/2013
13 years old
- 8 Participants
- 217 Views
- 17 Downloads
- Day 68Sorry for the typo - the Mwanza mobile clinic is June 5. Chimwemwe will be reviewed there, hope he's doing well. We are excited to catch up with him in little over a month.
Monday April 29, 2013
- Day 54Chimwemwe Sandikonda was discharged from CURE Malawi and is scheduled for a future follow up appointment on May 6 at the CURE mobile clinic in Mwanza. We are going to miss him. Learn more at http://bit.ly/Y89WH9
Monday April 15, 2013
- Day 50Good news, no more frame for Chimwemwe. The CURE doctors decided to remove it today and he is ecstatic. He will be here a few more days and then probably home early next week. http://bit.ly/ZKeRSq
Thursday April 11, 2013
- Day 48We've got good news and bad news for Chimwemwe. A water line burst and the hospital had to shut off the water supply for almost 5 days. The bad news is that surgeries are behind schedule. The good news is that the doctors still want to take the frame off this week, but they have to try to make up lost time from 3 days of postponed operations. The week is still young and we will keep everyone posted if Chimwemwe makes the schedule later this week.
Tuesday April 9, 2013
- Day 43Chimwemwe is still here. He's very close to having the frame removed. He told us about a story from his childhood this morning. He told us that he was walking through the woods with a couple friends when they were startled. Something was moving towards them under some brush. They turned to run but a friend suddenly popped his head up. He told us that he has never been so scared and so relieved in a very short period of time. Chimwemwe loves to laugh and couldn't recite the story without laughing through it.
Thursday April 4, 2013
- Day 35Chimwemwe has started physical therapy but he still doesn't have much movement in his hips. He is walking with the aid of a walker and the physical therapist is encouraging stretching exercises daily.
Wednesday March 27, 2013
- Day 33Looks like Chimwemwe is with us for at least another week. The doctors have directed the ward nurses to clean the pin sights of the hip flexor frame with alcohol daily. There is still risk for infection and the CURE team is not comfortable with a discharge at this point. There will be another evaluation of the pin wounds next week. Chimwemwe is itching to get home but is 100% supportive of the CURE team's decisions. He's a great kid and is taking this recovery process with the maturity of an adult.
Monday March 25, 2013
- Day 30The decision facing the CURE doctors now is when to discharge Chimwemwe. There is worry that leaving with the hip flexor frame could result in an infection at home if the pin sights aren't cleaned properly. The other option would be a spica cast that would still limit his movement and lower the risk of wound infection. He will be evaluated again on Monday and a discharge decision will be reached.
Friday March 22, 2013
- Day 29Here's the big smile that he promised us! We caught up with him playing paddle ball in the ward. He seems to be having a really good day, not complaining of any pain. The children were given chips, cookies and soft drinks after lunch from a local donor so everyone was really excited! http://bit.ly/ZO0S98
Thursday March 21, 2013
- Day 28He wanted a serious look in his picture today. We agreed to post if he gives us a smile in a picture tomorrow. I think he'll hold up his end of the bargain tomorrow since he smiles constantly throughout the day. He's a quiet kid but very observant and he keeps eyes on the other kids in the ward. It makes sense that he aspires to be a primary school teacher when he finishes school. http://bit.ly/ZxwJvD
Wednesday March 20, 2013
- Day 27A good day for Chimwemwe. We visited with him this afternoon and he told us that he's in equivalent of 5th grade and he loves math and chichewa (native language). He is moving around the ward in a wheelchair with very little pain.
Tuesday March 19, 2013
- Day 26Chimwemwe had a good weekend but complained of pain this morning during ward rounds. The pin sights of his frame will be cleaned thoroughly today in the ward. The pins that are causing him pain will be wrapped with gauze for comfort. He has about 6 pins that connect his external frame to the femur and hip joint. He tells us that he loves soccer and is dreaming of being able to play again soon.
Monday March 18, 2013
- Day 23Check out Chimwemwe walking in the ward with the help of a walking frame. He feels pain when moving around but he is getting more stable with physical therapy every day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-sDq6AUKI&feature=youtu.be
Friday March 15, 2013
- Day 22Chimwemwe is still not ready to be discharged. He is walking with a frame but still having pain when he gets up from his bed. He desperately misses school so we picked up a few current textbooks from the market to keep his mind stimulated. The physical therapy has moved more slowly than planned, but he is still making progress. We will capture a clip of Chimwemwe walking with his frame tomorrow.
Thursday March 14, 2013
- Day 16Congratulations! We met Chimwemwe's funding goal together!
Friday March 8, 2013
- Day 14Chimwemwe is making progress in physical therapy, however, his frame doesn't allow him to use crutches however. The physical therapist may release him as early as Friday if he is able to move with a walking frame. http://bit.ly/13EGBYJ
Wednesday March 6, 2013
- Day 9Chimwemwe Sandikonda is in recovery at CURE Malawi. Check out pictures from his surgery, which took up most of the morning. He is heavily sedated and we probably won't get to chat with him until tomorrow. Learn more at http://bit.ly/Y89WH9
Friday March 1, 2013
- Day 7Chimwemwe Sandikonda is in surgery at CURE Malawi, this is going to take some time. Please lift him up in prayer. When he wakes later today, he will be in some pain and will have a Taylor frame fixed to his hip and upper thigh. Learn more at http://bit.ly/Y89WH9
Wednesday February 27, 2013
- Day 6It's been decided by the team of CURE doctors, surgery tomorrow. A hip fusion procedure has been decided for Chimwemwe, please pray for comfort and safety for this boy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLsLCjYZGZg&feature=youtu.be
Tuesday February 26, 2013
- Day 5Doctors haven't set a date this week but it looks like he will undergo surgery on Thursday. Pray for him, he will most likely be put in a spica cast after surgery. We are going to chat with him tomorrow about school and his hobbies.
Monday February 25, 2013
- Day 1Chimwemwe Sandikonda has arrived at CURE Malawi with a painfully stiff hip. Not cool for an otherwise healthy 13 year old. The doctors are checking him out and he will find out soon how he will be treated. Learn more at http://bit.ly/Y89WH9
Wednesday February 20, 2013
$1,000 helps CURE Malawi heal Chimwemwe (FAQ's)